APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
:) THANK YOU!
Hillvale Gallery is excited to announce that we’re accepting our third round of Expressions of Interest (EOIs). We're seeking proposals from local photographic artists for our exhibition program to be held in 2024.
We aim to support the development of emerging photographic practice across all forms of photography and invite artists to submit proposals for solo, collective or curated group shows. EOIs will be assessed by a selection committee of local artists and curators. There is no fee to apply.
Who can applyOur objective is to provide opportunities for local photographic artists, and as such, this round of EOIs is currently only open to Australian residents working within a photographic practice. Hillvale Gallery is committed to providing a culturally inclusive and accessible space. We strongly encourage applicants from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities, culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, all abilities and socially marginalised groups.
Key datesTuesday 1 August: Applications open
Thursday 31 August: Applications close
Friday 29 September: All applicants notified
About usHillvale Gallery is an artist-run space that aims to support, elevate and exhibit emerging local artists working in the area of photography and lens-based image making.
Artists we’ve worked with over the past year include James J. Robinson, Ammar Yonis, Noah Thompson, Madeline Bishop, Sarah Walker, Liss Fenwick, Rebecca McCauley & Aaron Claringbold, and Anu Kumar.
In 2013 we started Hillvale Photo, our dedicated photo lab, and since then we’ve met many amazing photographers. Hillvale Photo was built by photographers for photographers and this is the same approach we aim to bring to our gallery — a space that supports our values at the lab, including affordability, accessibility and enabling photographers a place to express their practice.
Hillvale acknowledges and pays respect to the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation, the traditional custodians of the land on which Hillvale is built and operates. We pay our respect to Elders both past, present and future and acknowledge that sovereignty has never been ceded.
Gallery detailsHillvale Gallery is located at 43-45 Edward Street Brunswick. Our gallery, lab and bathrooms are wheelchair accessible.
Application processAll proposals must be made through our online proposal form. Please ensure you have prepared the following materials:
- Proposal details including project title, concept, description of work, and artist bio (maximum 250 words each)
- A single page CV for each participating artist/s
- Up to 10 supporting images (combined as a single PDF less than 10MB)
Exhibition detailsUp to two recipients will selected. Recipients will receive:
- Gallery space
- Artist fee of $750 for a solo exhibition (fees may differ for group exhibitions)
- Opening night event
- A three-week exhibition (proposed gallery opening hours Monday to Friday and Sunday, 11-3pm)
- One week total installation and de-installation time and support
- Curatorial development and assistance
- Design of exhibition collateral and branding support, including printed phototex signage for exhibition text and printed room sheet
- Event distribution and promotion through Hillvale Gallery’s Facebook and Instagram channels, as well as in-store at Hillvale Photo
- Opening night event with supplied bar and bar staff
- Exhibition documentation
- Use of gallery movable walls
- Staffing of the gallery, including the facilitation of sales
- 30% commission to be taken by Hillvale Gallery on all sales
Terms and conditions
- Hillvale Gallery provides installation support to successful applicants, however installation and de-installation remains the responsibility of the exhibitor
- Any gallery customisation including but not limited to painting and additional construction may incur additional fees and will need to be discussed with Hillvale Gallery
- Proposed gallery opening hours for shows are Mon-Fri, and Sun, 11-3pm (open hours are subject to change to reflect Hillvale Photo Lab opening hours)
- Hillvale Gallery takes all proceeds from the bar on opening night events. Funds are used to support artists and future exhibition programming
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application please contact Hillvale Gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org.